Saturday, April 13, 2013

Books, Iron Man and a Place to be Me

I don't really know how to begin this, or what to name it. I'm just kind of thinking. About stuff. About people. About anything, really. 
I made a space on my bookshelf for Goblet of Fire. It's tucked nicely between the U.S. printings of Prisoner of Azkaban and the Goblet of Fire I'd already had. When I collect all of the other printings, I'll most likely sell my other ones to some unfortunate soul who doesn't already own them.
My dad asked me the other day if I'd be interested in selling some books, and I told him I'd think about it. So, I just spent the last forty minutes deciding which books I'd like to part with. Most of them are books I've read and hold little interest in reading again, like Evermore and Witch and Wizard and the single Lying Game book that I have. I was flipping through one called Eye of the Oracle, a sizable book that I'd read a while ago but didn't fully understand. Inside, on a page near the end, I found, I kid you not, a 'scratch and sniff' sticker. It was small, a kind of reddish pink. So I did as it told me and scratched and sniffed, and it smelled of some kind of fruit. 
My Iron Man sign is hanging over my desk, and it will most likely bug my mum to death, because out of all the flowers, roses, orange and delicate pale colors of my room, BAM IRON MAN. Then again, she barely had any rejection to the Doctor Who poster on the back of my door. 
She makes me laugh sometimes. When my sister moves out, I'm taking her room. Mum said I could pick out new paint and everything, but says she wants it to be 'sensible', or at least, something close to that. I think she's picturing pale purple walls, maybe, with a cream bedspread, and framed pressed flowers on the wall, stuff like that. That's not what I want. I want a place I can be at peace, with things that I like. I want posters on the wall, a separate place in the corner where I can sit and read and be away from the world. That's why I want that room. It's on the farthest side from the house, away from the noise and everything. The room I have now is right by the stairs, in between the laundry room and the bathroom, the two nosiest places on the second floor. 
What I really want to do when I get Kate's room, what I want to do right now but am forced to wait...I'm going to get the largest piece of white paper I can find and tape it to the wall, or I might paint one wall white, and I'm going cover it with anything I want. Lyrics, drawings, notes from friends, pictures, whatever. That's what I want to do.
I'm probably gonna be here for another three years anyway.
That's been bothering me, too. Everyone I know is talking about one thing: college.
Where are you gonna go? Are you excited about College Fair?! What do you want to do with your life?
I want to go to Appalachian. I want to be a writer, or an English teacher, or a creative writing teacher. I want to teach ninth grade, or tenth grade, or elementary. I want to share my ideas with someone without regretting it. I want to be able to tell people things without worrying how they might take it.
I don't want to go to Wake Tech. But I don't think I have any other choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment