Sunday, March 10, 2013

Unlikely (part 4)

    The stories of how I met Bliss and Ria kinda intertwine. Really, it was an accident. Or coincidence. One of the more loco (and I say that lightly) patients was screaming about wanting a fruit cup or something like that, so Miss Kristen asked me to go to the kitchen and get one. Everything had gone great until I pushed open the door of the kitchen. Suddenly, a hand clamped around my mouth and I was pulled behind one of the counters. I wrestled out of the persons grasp and yelled, "Hey!" 
The girl shushed me harshly and dragged me further from the door. "Let go!" I insisted.
    "Shut up. Just chill out."
For some reason, she reminded me of Amie. She glared at me for a moment before darting around the counter. 
    "Hey!" I followed her and watched as she ran to the fridge and extracted two pudding cups. She then ran past me and out the door. Instead of doing what I was told and bringing Miss Kristen the fruit cup, I followed the girl to one of the rooms like the one I shared with Bren. I peeked in and saw her hand one of the cups to another girl who sat on the end of one of the beds. 
    "You're not supposed to steal," I said bluntly through the open door.
The thief turned and glared at me. "So what? It's not like it's hurting anyone. Besides, Bliss really wanted one."
The girl on the bed, who I assumed was Bliss, peeled the lid from her cup and dipped her spoon in without saying anything to me. 
The other girl kept looking at me. "So why were you in the kitchen, then?" She asked accusingly. 
    I crossed my arms. "Miss Kristen asked me to get someone a fruit cup. I would have done that, if you hadn't gotten in my way."
    "So, what? You gonna tell on me?"
I thought about it for a moment. Honestly, I didn't care what this girl did. But I wasn't going to ignore her, either. There was something about the way she looked at me back behind the counter. 
    "No," I told her. "I'm not going to tell."
I looked at Bliss, then, and noticed that she'd been staring at me with large dark eyes the entire time the other girl and I had been quarreling. 
    "Her name is Ria," Bliss said softly. 
The other girl, Ria, said nothing, only watched me with crossed arms.
    "I'm Dale," I replied. 

No comments:

Post a Comment