Sunday, March 10, 2013

Change My Atmosphere (part 2)

    Like I said before, no one really talks to me anymore, not since the disease. So I'm somewhat surprised when I'm actually spoken to.
    Even though it's basically the end of the world, believe it or not, there are still places to eat around here. I wasn't lying when I said people were trying to rebuild. Sure, it's no Olive Garden, but Burger King sure beats eating out of cans. It seems that, before the disease broke out, most of these teens worked in fast food places. I order a burger and a bottle of water and try to find a seat. I brush some dirt off of the table (apparently, they don't care much about cleanliness here) and sit to eat my meal. I'm about to bite into my burger when someone slides onto the bench across from me.
    "Um-" I start, but stop when I notice he's staring at me rather intently.
    "Yes?" I ask.
    "You don't happen to be named Kaitlin, do you?"
I blink at him like "are you kidding me" and slowly nod. He smiles brightly and says, "Kay, right?"
I shrug. "And you are-?"
Then it hits me.
    "Jason Sera? From eighth grade? Wow, that was forever ago, wasn't it."
I just nod and try to start eating when he says, "So, whatcha been up to?"
    "Look," I say, "I'm really just here for a meal, okay?"
He nods. "Okay."
Like most people, I can't eat while people are staring at me. "I spend most of my time here in New York, believe it or not."
    "Really? And here, you were always talking about wanting to get out, see the world."
    "Hm. Yeah, I was, wasn't I."
I don't really want to see a world that has no people in it.
I take a bite out of my burger and Jason speaks again. "Anyway, I've been around. Mostly D.C and stuff like that. The White House is pretty boring, believe it or not."
    "Is it."
    "Yeah."
He keeps talking and this gives me a chance to finish my meal. When I do, I ball up my wrapper and stand. "Well, it was good seeing you again. Bye."
He jumps up after me. "Wait, Kay."
I look back at him. He's frowning now.
    "Is it just you, now?" He asks sincerely.
I shrug. He nods once and says, "Well, if I'm in the area, can I call you?"
What am I supposed to say to that? That I prefer being alone? I think it's better than dealing with an empty world? I surprise myself when I say, "Sure".


No comments:

Post a Comment