Sunday, March 10, 2013

I Just Wanna Run (part 2)

     It was years later when the cloaked men came. There were six of them, and all, in my sisters' words, quite handsome. On the night they came, I was constantly woken by the sound of my sisters squealing. Finally, I'd gone and sat among them around the fire in the large room connecting the smaller each of us had. They had welcomed me into their circle, and my favorite sister, Ennis, held my hand as the other girls fawned over the men.
   "Do you think they are here to choose a bride?" One asked. Another snorted and said, "If so, you're out of luck, Etzel."
After ten minutes of this sort of talk, I finally asked, "Are they so handsome? I don't think so."
      "That's because you're too young to understand, Elli. You will, in time. In fact, you're so cute, one might just fancy you."
In all honesty, I felt sick at Etzel's comment. I couldn't think of a fate worse then being chosen to marry any man. Little did I know I'd felt something somewhat like love before. 
    "What do you think, Ennis?" I asked. She was the eldest, which meant she must have been the wisest. 
She had thought about this before patting my hand and saying, "Handsome or not, these men have special powers. If one chooses me, I know that he will do anything to protect me."
     I hoped she was right, for two weeks after their arrival, one of the cloaked men had pronounced his love for Ennis. There was a banquet, and much glee and happiness, and then she was gone. After that, the castle seemed so much larger, and so very empty. I refused to attend lunches and dinners with the men, in the fear that one of them might take me away. Even though I hated the castle, I feared the cloaked men more. 
Over and over in my head, I played Ennis's words. They'll protect us. That's what husbands do. 
But then came the day I was wandering the tall towers of the castle. I came across a man in a long red cloak. He was staring out one of the small windows. I thought about walking past him, then decided it would be best to help him.
        "Excuse me?" I ask, "Are you lost?"
He doesn't look at me. "Quite. But I don't mind. I like the view from here."
        "Oh." 
  I'd known every inch of the castle, and knew that, apart from where he stood, there were better views.                "Follow me," I'd said. And, to my surprise, he did. I led him up the stairs and to one of the walkways along the inner wall of the castle. From there, you had a view of the rolling hills, the gardens, the lake, and beyond, the homes of the village we protected and the forests surrounding it all. 
       "This is amazing," the man said softly. 
       "Yes," I replied.  
  I could tell by his voice that he wasn't like the others. He was younger, and not harsh and loud with his words. I noticed that he always kept his hood up. Actually, in this moment, his hood was down, but I couldn't see his eyes. The wind seemed to purposefully sweep his dark bangs in front of them. 
He seemed to be surprised that I still stood beside him. "Why do I have the feeling you don't like me, much," he asked. 
      I shrugged, then realized how unladylike that was. "It's not like that. I just don't think I've found a reason to like you, yet."
   He chuckled. "Well, that I can understand. You're young."
I raised an eyebrow. "Are you assuming that if I were as old as my other sisters, then I would find you any more attractive?"
"Perhaps."
He reached out and patted me on the shoulder. "I shall see you at supper, then?"
Then he raised his hood and left. 


No comments:

Post a Comment